Friday 5 June 2015

Exploring Area

In Room 8 we have been doing measurement as part of our Friday afternoon strand mathematics. So far we have done a lot of learning around length. Today was different. Today we explored what area was. Firstly we created pictures or short captions to show what we knew about area. Then we rotated around three different stations to explore area. By the end of the lesson we all had a pretty good idea of what area is. Here are some photos of us exploring:






After we finished exploring some of us shared our discoveries. Here they are: 

When I was on the block one over there, I found out the area of a big T is 14 blocks – Carlos

On that table it’s 18 papers on the table – Kaylee

I discovered that on the wrapping table when you wrap all the different sized books the wrapping goes different sizes too – Lucas N

I learned that on the block table when I made an M for Micaiah it was 15 blocks – Korbin.

When I did a capital T on the block table it was 10 blocks – Mackenzie

When I was on the block table I knew how much is an S, it is 14 – Seth

I discovered that an E is 16 blocks – Eli

I discovered at the making letters with the blocks table I made a 'm', lower case and I found out that it was 17 blocks for the area – Mana

At the block table I found out the area of two mini pistols is 12 because  there was 6 on each one and I know 6+6 is 12 like basic facts - Sheldon

No comments:

Post a Comment